Dr Greg Summerell
NSW Department of Planning and Environment
See Dr Summerell’s full research profile here.
Research outputs linked to policy change and decision-making
- led and developed the NSW Bushfire Research Management Hub (current investment over 5 years is ~$5 million directly), which is already leveraging at 3:1 for their investment to date
- developed our Aboriginal cultural science program to support joint management initiatives in our national parks as well as cultural fire management in NSW
- implemented key research programs in the Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016:
- biodiversity assessment methodology
- alignment of the NSW threatened species lists to federal assessment methodology
- serious and irreversible impacts, biodiversity baseline assessment.
Current academic employment and positions
- 2012–present: Director, Conservation and Restoration Science, NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
- 2004: PhD (civil and environmental engineering), University of Melbourne.
Major prizes, medals and honours
- 2019: Honorary Fellow, MSSANZ International Congress on Modelling and Simulation (MODSIM).
Roles on government or regional organisation committees
- co-lead for the agency’s cultural fire management position statement, which outlines the roles and responsibilities of all when engaging in cultural fire management practices
- NSW koala strategy research program overseeing the science and research governance into policy and on-ground research programs
- NSW post-fire 2019–2020 recovery for threatened species and cultural heritage. Dr Summerell has been ensuring that science rigour and governance is maintained through a prioritisations processes and aligning to on-ground management needs and federal processes.
Links with non-government groups or networks
- steering committee member for the NSW Biamanga National Park and Murrah Flora Reserves cultural burns on co-management land in the NSW parks reserve system
- science executive lead on the 2017 Aboriginal cultural heritage reforms.
Current projectCompleted project
NESP RLH, 2021-2027NESP, 2015-2021NERP, 2012-2015TRaCK, 2005-present