Dr Tom Vigilante
Healthy Country manager, Wunambal Gaambera
Ecologist, Bush Heritage Australia
See Dr Vigilante’s full research profile here.
Research outputs linked to policy change and decision-making
- implementing the 10-year Wunambal Gaambera Healthy Country plan 2011–2018, including operational and research projects, monitoring and evaluation
- mammal trapping at Mitchell Plateau with the Western Australian Department of Environment and Conservation as part of the ‘landscape 2011–2016 conservation initiative’ led by Dr Ian Radford. Included some animal trapping and handling as well as supervision of Indigenous rangers.
- botanical field surveys near Kalumburu in the north Kimberley as part of PhD, 1999–2002. Recording structure and floristics of woody vegetation to determine the effects of fire regime. Ethnoecological work documenting fire knowledge and cultural programs.
Current academic employment and positions
2011–present: healthy Country manager/ecologist, Wunambal Gaambera, Bush Heritage Australia.
- 2004: PhD, Charles Darwin University
Links with non-government groups or networks
- Dr Vigilante assists Wunambal Gaambera people with their burning program and established carbon project.
- He was involved in the establishment of Aboriginal savanna-burning projects under the carbon farming initiative in the Kimberley.
Current projectCompleted project
NESP RLH, 2021-2027NESP, 2015-2021NERP, 2012-2015TRaCK, 2005-present